Friday 30 October 2009

No Answers

We went to Venice. It seems an eternity away now.

Twenty-four hours after returning, our world was shaken and suddenly everything changes. On Saturday, a friend of ours was found murdered in his home. He had lived quietly on his own.

I sit here and I can still see his face, his smile and hear his voice. We are caught in a time warp.

My youngest daughter, when she was treated to dinner in the local, always had Chicken Teddies. Our friend would try the distraction trick whilst trying to 'steal' the Chicken Teddies from her plate. She loved his, obviously bungled, attempts. It became their ritual. As she grew older their conversations became more 'grown up’. Our friend always remarked how bright, and funny she was. In the same way he brought tears to my eyes a few months ago, when he told me what a beautiful girl my eldest daughter was, 'she is beautiful from the inside out Mary'.

My girl’s world has been rocked. How do I calm the eldest, who knew him well? What do I tell the youngest? How do I protect them from a vicious, nasty world, when that world has landed here? How do I make them realise that this is not going to happen again? Suddenly our rural community, that was always idyllic and friendly has been cloaked in fear, anger, misery and grief.

I cannot make any sense of it because there is none. Our friend was a son, a brother and an uncle. Why did this happen to this family? There are no words of comfort I can think to offer his family. I have a huge anger in me, a rage I cannot explain. No one deserves to die in this way, no one. Our friend was the kindest of gentle men. You tell me where the justice is, I cannot see any.

I have held my eldest daughter. I have diluted the story of his death to the youngest. She said the line that everyone in our community was silently saying in their own heads. 'I don't want to hear this; I know I don't want to hear this'. God only knows what his family where screaming in their heads.

Someone out there, who is a son, possibly a brother, lover, husband, father or uncle did this. You took the life of another man, who had the nicest nature of anyone I have met. You have ruined the life of his elderly mother and his sisters, nephews and nieces. May your soul be damned to hell for eternity. May you never rest peacefully in this life or any other. I hope that you DO realise one day what you did, because you can NEVER salve your conscience whilst you walk on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment